Balancing “Our” Landscape: Forests, Farming and their Relationship in SDG
On Tuesday November 28th, 2017, approximately 75 individuals from the agricultural and forestry communities, municipal and provincial organizations and the general public attended a forum in Avonmore to listen to six presentations and a panel discussion on the current status and future outlook for agriculture and forests in the United Counties of S.D.&G. After the presentations participants were asked to provide their observations and comments on ways to reduce the loss of forest cover while ensuring a minimal economic impact on the agricultural community.
Attached below are the presentations that were given prior to the panel discussion. A final summary report for the day will be available in the coming weeks.
1) Forest Loss and History of Forestry in S.D.&G. – Dorothy Hamilton – S.D.&G. Chapter of the OWA
2) County Planning and Forests – Alison McDonald – United Counties of S.D.&G
3) Conservation Bylaws – Jonathan Allen – Lanark County
4) Value of Forests, Buffers and Hedgerows – Chris Critoph – Raisin Region Conservation Authority
5) Finding Common Ground and Good – Angela Coleman – South Nation Conservation Authority
6) Agricultural Forest Cover Committee (AFCC) Preliminary Recommendations – Jackie Pemberton – Chair AFCC Committee